by: welle - 27th March 2008

I have very conflicting feelings about Jay Peak. The powder was unbelievable and nice... while it lasted. We skied on Easter Weekend, Fri-Sun, 2008. It stormed on Friday and dumped 2 feet of fresh pow, however, due to up to 50mph winds all but the bunny hill was closed. We braved the freezing temps and strong wind gusts to ride 2 feet of new pow for just a few runs. Next morning, the info phone line said to expect delays on the lifts, but by 8.00 when we arrived only Stateside chair was running with long lines and all trails to our horror were GROOMED!!! The place was so packed on Saturday that needless to say every wood trail was skied in and out. Tram opened up late in the morning, but with with waiting times of at least 2 hours. On Sunday, finally all the chairs were up and running including their only detachable quad, but most of the powder was gone due to too many skiers and wind exposure. Re: crowds, except for obnoxious rude Quebecois, most skiers are chill and unpretentious, many were outdoor enthusiasts in their mountaineering clothes (you don't see too many people in $600+ outfits). Rude Canadians, however, almost ruined whole weekend experience and outshadowed locals' chill attitude and friendliness. In summary, I can't say I don't want to come to this mountain ever again (I would like to try this mountain on a less busier day), but in a snowy season like this year, I would much prefer Stowe since it's 1 hour less driving from NYC, has more terrain to absorb big crowds and has a friendlier staff and clientelle overall...