by: anonymous_user - 17th October 2007

My wife and I were ski instructors at Vail. After returning East and raising a family we skied all of the resorts I grew up skiing in the East. Sugarbush was my favorite. After being rained out twice during expensive week stays at Killington, we ventured up to Jay, and have made it our East Coast destination ski resort since. No other resort has as much snow. Evert week we go up we have 6" or more of fresh snow. Often a foot or more. They have wind issues, it can be cold, but I would gladly trade off both for a good powder surface. Skiing is turning, and turning is best experienced in good snow surfaces. Add to that the convenience of afordible ski-on-off conditions, well... that pretty much sums up Jay Peak. The ski school at Jay is also terrific. The Bellfry is a fun place to eat, and there are others in Montgomery and in Newport. Plenty for families. If you are single and your trip is based on night life, you would do better at Killington, Stowe or Sugarbush. If it is skiing you seek, you can't beat Jay Peak. Especially if you like skiing in the trees or if you want a powder experience without travelling to the Rockies. We just booked a week at Jay again in February. I would like to add, Jay is the only eastern resort where I have experienced a whiteout several times on my week vacation.