by: Sam Jordan - 26th November 2013

snow, glades, backcountry
expensive

After skiing resorts all around the east coast for my whole life I can say Jay is hands down my favorite. I can’t say how many times I have been there and it has snowed hard for days. The quality of snow at Jay is phenomenal. It snows quite often and thanks to the “Jay cloud”, it even gets more snow than neighboring resorts during the same storm! My best days for skiing on the east coast have all been at Jay, from deep powder days, to skiing in June with my brother in a T-shirt and shorts. The terrain is unparalleled by any other resort in the east. There’s everything from challenging chutes, to glades, to groomers. The glades are famous at Jay and they are well maintained, plus hold great snow after storm. There are even glades for beginners with big spacing in between trees. That is a big factor of why I return to Jay over and over again; the tree skiing is great. Not to mention the backcountry is great to if you where to go! When compared to other big name Vermont resorts like, Stowe, Killington, and Smugglers Notch, Jay’s gladded and backcountry terrain sticks out in my mind as a huge dividing line between the others. I’m not much of a park skier but their terrain parks are all right. Nothing special, but there are two of them with different features in each. If most of your time is spent in the park, you probably want to go somewhere else. The lift lines at Jay are another reason why you should make the trip. The only times I ever wait are on powder day mornings, and obviously, for the tram. The trails are also not crowded so I don’t ever have to ski with my head on a swivel. With all of Jay’s new additions to the mountain, there’s definitely better après ski then years ago. There are many restaurants and a pretty sweet water park, but still you are in Jay Vermont, and off mountain there is not much to do. The biggest problem with Jay Peak is the prices. Everything is getting more expensive. Ticket prices have jumped, almost doubling, in a couple year stretch. The hotel and on mountain condo’s are also very expensive. The hotel runs for 175 a person per night. At that rate, you could go to Utah or Colorado and pay the same price. The water park is also expensive and they do not offer any kind of deals like paying less for a certain amount of time, or just paying for a hot tub. To me Jay is worth the money you pay, because skiing is that much better than it’s competitors, and if money is a problem, look into staying in the neighboring town of Montgomery. Overall I would give it 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to anybody who is looking for challenging mixed terrain.