by: klamans - 7th March 2011

best snow in east, cheap, glades
still subject to erratic northeast weather patterns, prioritize running lower lifts

If you want to spend money, stay on groomed slopes, complain about the cold, and focus more on the apres-ski scene this is not the place for you, and thank you for not crowding the mountain. The groomed slopes become sheets of ice because the wind moves the snow to where I want it, in the glades. The high speed quad is a great place to test out clothing when the northwest winds hit as it slams you into them as if on purpose. If they covered the lift it just wouldn't be the same! I've found some of the trails at Stowe, Sugarbush, and Mad River Glen more interesting but they simply don't get as much snow and (except for MRG) cost more. I haven't explored the back-country possibilities at Jay but they are obviously there. Jay is however subject to the warm ups and refreezes endemic to the northeast but not quite as badly as elsewhere and recovers faster (that is the glades, many slopes remain icy but I only use them for glade access anyway). I noticed they have finally extended their season until May which is long overdue. I had been there once in mid-April when there was lots of snow left in the woods but they wasted their personnel operating the lower lifts and Stateside only!! I hope they have abandoned this habit.