The best place in the East!

by: c001man97 - Feb 13, 2010

Pros: Awesome glades and chutes on/off map, aerial tram, 350+ inches annual snowfall, short lift lines

Cons: Relatively small vertical drop compared to other VT mountains, cold, some trails get windblown easily

Recommended For: Family Friendly, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2010

Despite the relatively small vertical drop (just over 2,000 ft.) Jay Peak will blow you (and the snow on some of its trails) away. Its woods are amazing, the glades being by far the best I've ever visited because they are cut just right, have varied angles, and get SO MUCH SNOW! Perhaps even better is that Jay Peak allows you to ski anywhere on their mountain, which means off-piste heaven! I would recommend starting off with an easy glade like Kokomo or Bushwhacker and then working your way up to Kitz Woods and Canyonland. If you really want to go off the map check out the woods between The Jet and Kitzbuhel (there are lots more "secret trails", but hey that's all you're gonna hear from me). If you're willing to go out of the resort's boundaries check out The Dip off of Timbuktu or if you're really ready to hike, Big Jay. Although the woods are almost always in great condition, the same isn't true of such trails as Vermonter and Northway. Because of their location, the wind from the "Jay Cloud" sometimes blows the snow off of them. Still, most of the other trails keep their snow. Unfortunately when I was there I was so obsessed with the woods that I forgot to visit the terrain park, so I can't tell you how good it is. I did not, however, forget to check out the chutes. Frankly, they were the hardest terrain in the East short of Mt. Washington. I'm not talking about the ones on the map like Face Chutes and Green Beret, I'm talking about the legendary...Pumphouse Chute. Yes, it really is that steep. It is almost vertical. There's a reason it’s not on the map, and that reason is that they don’t want inexperienced skiers getting out of their depth. It is located at the top of Vermonter. There are a number of other secret chutes, but I’ll let you do the scouting. Have fun at Jay!