by: Nealski - 3rd December 2007

Cortina is simply one of the most amazingly beautiful places you will ever ski. I've spent quite a bit of time in the Dolomites in summer and winter and always love it. Cortina stands out a bit in winter as it has some runs that are more challenging that other areas of the Dolomite. Its heavy on intermediate terrain and while I'm an expert, I loved it anyways because I was so giddy with the beautiful views and terrain and ripping up high speed turns. I enjoyed the Falloria area and feeling like I was on top of the world as you're perched on an area set high up above cliffs that you climb on a tram. Going up to ski at Tofana was fun though the runs on top are a bit limited and more crowded, but the ride is spectacular and there is some quality challenge coming down. I explored every little area here and enjoyed even the easy stuff because you just felt like you were in a winter wonderland where ever you went. Skiing by Cinque Torre was cool. Five massive rock towers off to the side of a run and the mountain was pretty much ours. The most spectacular run is the long long run from the top of Laguezoi down to Armentarola. I recommend stopping at Laguzoi too for a nibble or something. I once had a gnocci dish done with three different sauces up here that was to die for. The run is a delightful meandering mostly blue run that can take up a lot of time as you stop to take in the sites as you pass through canyons and great terrain. There is a bus back. The town is fun too and the people watching is great. People stroll through the town in their furs and such every evening like clockwork year round. At the top of the lifts you'll find the non-skiers working on their tans in bikini tops and reflective screens. Its definitely a "La dolce vita" kind of place for those trying to impress which leaves the slopes a little bit more open for the serious skiers.