by: sjakob - 14th January 2009

Vast, uncrowded terrain
Employees could care less

I've visited The Canyons twice. Once in February with excellent snow conditions and once in December in meager conditions. Both times I was less than impressed with the staff. The majority of the employees are foreign workers (australians) who could care less about your Canyons experience. I don't require lots of customer service when I ski but I do notice rude and unhelpful employees. The mountain has amazing potential and I will continue to visit a couple times a year but only when they have lots of snow and everything is open. Some weird things to keep in mind when visiting the Canyons: 1. The ticket booth at the base of the cabriolet doesn't post prices so new visitors have lots of questions and it takes a while to purchase tickets. Buy them in SLC at ski shops for a discounted rate. 2. The large booth at the base of the cabriolet doesn't have a bathroom. You have to wait until you find somewhere in the village or on the mountain. No public restrooms were evident until I went to one of the lodges. 3. If you decide to stay in the village to eat dinner or watch a ballgame after skiing, be aware of the time. Once the Cabriolet shuts down at 5:00 you have to wait for a bus and they aren't convenient or frequent. We begged a shuttle bus driver to get us to the parking lot after the Superbowl. The Canyons has all the potential in the world to be the next great resort but they just don't seem to get it.