by: anonymous_user - 16th March 2008

Just returned from a week in Utah (Mar. 9-15, 2008) in which I sampled a couple of resorts and skied @ the Canyons for 2 days. These are some of my thoughts... 1). Value-The Canyons is typical of most ski resorts. The on-mountain cuisine is nothing special but over-priced. A brownie and bottle of Powerade cost me about $6.50, which is typical. The brownie wasn't bad but I can make one just as good. However, I did find the skiing at the Canyons to be a bargain since I purchased a 2 day ticket at Canyon Sports in Downtown SLC for $102.00. This is about $40.00 cheaper than at the resort. If you are skiing Utah, check them out because they sell discounted tickets to all of the resorts in the SLC area. 2). Terrain-The lay-out of the resort is extremely confusing. The Canyons is basically 8 individual mountains that are connected thru a confusing system of cat walks. It is very easy to get lost here, I would suggest that you always carry a trail map. Because of this lay-out, you tend to spend more time on cat-walks and connector trails and less time skiing better terrain-I don't care for this. On the positive side, I did find some pretty good skiing. There were some long groomers and double blacks off of the Super Condor lift and a nice bowl and some steep blacks off of the Golden Eagle double chair. The Peak 5 chair had some good tree runs. I wasn't particularly impressed with the terrain off of the Ninety-nine 90 chair-but the snow conditions weren't the best either. Overall, there is some good skiing here but too much traversing to suit my tastes. 3). Lifts-Mostly everything here is high-speed so you can get a lot of skiing in, if you like. About the only complaint that I have with the lifts is the Golden Eagle double chair. I thought that the terrain serviced by this lift was among the best at the resort-yet this extremely slow chair was the only way to access it from the eastern side of the resort. It would seem that this would be a good ploace for a high spped lift. The only downside is that the terrain would get skied out much more quickly. 4). Overall-I liked some aspects of the Canyons but disliked some others. There is some good skiing but you have to spend too much time travelling to find it. The resort advertises huge vertical and acreage but a whole lot of it consists of flats and connector trails. I would ski here again but only on a discounted lift ticket.