by: anonymous_user - 23rd February 2007

February 15, 2007: What a miserable weather day at The Canyons! Despite the fact that it had snowed in the area four days earlier, the snow was to a large extent ruined because the entire day we had freezing rain and sleet all over the resort! Picture having to scrape your goggles clear of ice five times a run. Or having your coat so coated that it was stiffly frozen, and the back of the coat ripped off the chair lift seats like a tongue on a metal pole. We headed over to the far left facing the hill, and we realized that only the runouts on the edges were groomed. The powder in the trees down the middle was so-so, but my poor wife only skis groomers, so she was bored and later very cold. Time to warm up, right? But there is nowhere to warm up on the entire left half of the resort terrain, and to get to the main lodge takes about 20 minutes of runouts and lifts. At least there weren't any lift lines. We split up for the afternoon, and I did major tree and bump runs on the right side of the mountain. The trees in one huge area (Condor Glade?) were untouched; I was the only one who had been there for days. Other expert skiers told me that they had great snow on 9990. So don't characterize this place as an intermediate's mountain; there's serious expert fun to be had. But don't bother going to the far left for it. That seems to be just a development for enormous unoccupied second homes. We thought the scenery was mediocre, especially compared with Deer Valley. Food was average.