by: Richard - 21st February 2008

• Nightlife
Amazing snow days after storms in some areas
Very expensive

The only way I ski The Canyons is when it's free. That's not to say that the place sucks, it's just that it's too expensive for my blood. At $77 a ticket, you pay mostly for the luxury and the expansive terrain: I don't need the luxury, and there's no way you can ski all the terrain in one day...so paying a premium ($77!) for that seems a little crazy. The Park City QuickStart (http://www.parkcityinfo.com/quickstart/) is the way to ski The Canyons, especially if you are on a budget (like me). You fill out and print the voucher online, and then on the day you arrive, bring your boarding pass and the printed voucher to the ticket window. You'll get a free lift ticket for the rest of the day. The Canyons had terrific snow when we skied there on February 7th. There was 8" of fresh (and still kind of coming down), but the wind was so bad, that it kept people off higher elevations (and closed Sun Peak and Super Condor chairs). Since we only had a few hours, we took the Flight of the Canyons gondola up, then crossed over to the Golden Eagle chair and Silverado bowl. We mostly skied the Golden Glades with the occasional cool-down loop through the bowl. The snow was terrific, and we could even get waist deep at times. Adding to this, the glades there aren't that steep, and have nice, open areas to slarff big fat turns through them (which is all good, since I'm not a very solid tree skier). While skiing the Golden Glades, some of us came upon two moose bedded down in the trees. It was a pretty cool experience. I snapped some cell phone pictures from a safe distance--to be sure not to disturb the moose--then continued my laps. We skied out most of the Golden Glades, and by that time, it was time for last chair. We headed back down to the village, and back to the car. We didn't do any apres at The Canyons because we figured it was expensive, but usually when we are there, we head into Park City and go to a noodle & pizza place on Main Street (I forget the name). They have some great pies there, so I highly recommend it if you want to get away from the ultra-spendiness of The Canyons. When we looked at the trail map later that day, we noticed we had only down a fraction of the resort there...literally, a fraction...as in 1/10 of the resort. There's so much terrain there, it'd take multiple trips in a week to even access all of it. But if you are willing to make the investment ($$$$), then good on you, because I'll tell you first-hand, that the terrain and snow are worth it.