Skiing Like It Used To Be

by: MCPG - Jan 23, 2009

Pros: The resort is just beautiful

Cons: It's not as large as other Utah resorts

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2008

Sundance is not as large as the other resorts along the Wasatch Front but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The crowds at Sundance are usually pretty small, especially on weekdays. Weekends can get crowded since there are only three lifts.
The variety of terrain is great! It's not the biggest place you'll ever ski but what it lacks in size it more than makes up for in personality. Pretty much whatever you want can be found at Sundance. I've been skiing Sundance for about 20 years. Back when I was single I enjoyed the steeps of Bishop's Bowl and now that I have kids I appreciate the gentle runs down lower on the front side. The kids discovered Maverick last season and now that's their favorite run.
The scenery is amazing. The ambiance is like nothing else. It's at once exclusive and down-home. Somehow it manages to feel exclusive without seeming pretentious We make it a "must-ski" every year. If you're lucky you might even run into "Bob", the owner. (I've seen him a couple of times over the years.)
On the down side when the weather is bad the narrow road up to the resort can become treacherous. If sat behind the snowplow in a long line of cars on more than one occasion.