What's not to like?

by: Likeabat - Apr 15, 2009

Pros: No lift lines. Fantastic family resort.

Cons: can't think of any

Recommended For: Singles, Family Friendly

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2009

We (me, wife, 2 kids 8 and 10) visited Solitude in late March. We had intended to go to Alta that day, but the Little Cottonwood Canyon road was closed for a few hours in the morning (we were staying in SLC), so we decided to try Solitude instead rather than waiting for the LCC road to open. We are so glad we did!

While booting up, we heard several other people mention that they also indended to go to Alta that day but came to Solitude instead because of the LCC road closure - a local said "there is usually a bit more of a crowd when the LCC road is closed." Well...it this is "more crowded", I'd love to see it on a regular day. It felt like we had the place to ourselves. We skiied up and immediately sat down on every lift all day.

Recent snowfall made the conditions perfect - deep powder on most runs - even the groomed runs had received 6 inches or so of snow since the grooming, just right for the kids.

I liked the fact that the green runs and the easier blues that the kids skiied on were still steep/interesting enough that my wife and I could enjoy them too. They had some long blue cruisers from the top that were perfect for the kids (Dynamite), but it also appeared that they had plenty of "pedal-to-the metal" terrain for more advanced skiing although I spent the day skiing with the kids. I suppose it could be argued that Alta and/or Snowbird is a better place for the hardcore advanced skiier - and I guess I wouldn't try to argue against that - but Solitude has plenty of terrain for that type of skiier as well.

The resort has a bit of a smaller feel to it than Alta. Even though the vertical is listed as 2000'+, there really aren't any single runs/lifts that take advantage of all of it. If you do manage to ski top-to-bottom, it would take several lift rides to position yourself back at the summit to do it again.

The village looked nice. We didn't spend any time there, but I think it would be a very nice place to stay. It is much smaller than I had expected and doesn't have any of the "mega-resort" feel. Just a quaint, quiet collection of lodges/inns and a few restaurants.

All in all, a great, quiet resort with something for everyone. Fantasic views. No lines or crowds. Convienent lodging if you can swing the $$ (although it doesn't look like it is any more expensive than any other slopeside lodging at other resorts). I think the name "Solitude" is quite appropriate.

I wish the lifts stayed open later tha 4:00 - particularly after daylight savings time kicks in. I suppose you could go over to Brighton (1 mile away) for night skiing if you really wanted to continue skiing.

In fact, we are already trying to plan our ski trip next year and we are hoping to stay in the Village at Solitude - it would still be easy to venture to one of the other Cottonwood ski areas from there. For a family, I think Solitude is a fantastic "secret"...in fact...I shouldn't be telling you all of this...