Total Solitude!

by: jeffwu - Apr 15, 2010

Pros: SNOW, no lift lines, quaint village, and easy access

Cons: Lack of apres ski activities

Date Visited: Apr 1, 2010

Gosh, where to begin? My g/f and I were looking into buying a place in either Big Cottonwood Canyon ("BCC") or Little Cottonwood Canyon ("LCC"), and while Alta/Snowbird certainly do suit my skiing "style" better, Solitude couldn't have been a better combined choice for us. The base village is quaint, and everything is close. We have ski in/out access without any hassle, from our new condo, and at a good discount to Alta/Snowbird. I think that Solitude gets more snow than Alta/Snowbird, or maybe it's just the fact that the snow stays around longer, due to the lack of crowds. The terrain has both a tame (beginner/intermediate) side, as well as a wilder (advanced/expert) side. Certainly there are not as many cliffs as there are at Alta/Snowbird, but whenever I feel the need to huck myself over a cliff, I am not too far from LCC!!! Solitude even has access to backcountry terrain!!! I am really impressed by the place, since I thought we were buying the "minivan" of ski mountains, in Utah, which it certainly is not. I'll take Solitude over any ski mountain, any day of the week, and twice on Sundays!

Of course, on the downside, the apres ski scene is not quite "up to par" but the place is still attracting more interest, and that takes time to develop. So, if it's apres ski I am after, I take the drive down BCC, into Sandy, or Draper, or even the dreaded Park City, which I avoid like the black plague, as the pretensions of the place really do overwhelm me, to no end, just like Aspen/Snowmass, in my native Colorado!!! But nevetheless, all those places in Utah are near Solitude, so they are within reasonable driving distances. Personally, I don't think much of the apres ski scene in either canyon, and for the pure skier, that is acceptable, to be so close to my beloved slopes.

To conclude, Solitude is definitely a great ski mountain with fantastic terrain and AWESOME snow!!! It's close to everything, yet reccessed from it all, at the same time. What it lacks in an apres ski environment, it more than makes up for, in all the areas it does well, which happen to be the only areas in which I care: SKIING!!!