Very good resort, but suffers from being overshadowed by it's superior neighbor: Alta

by: govey80 - Oct 14, 2008

Pros: Very good extreme terrain, good powder on the back side

Cons: Icy and shadowy frontside, Lacks the variety of extreme terrain of Alta

Recommended For: Singles, Family Friendly

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2007

Overall, a very good resort, but it gets overshadowed by Alta's superiority, especially with Alta being just up the road. There are many good runs off of the Tram, and I've had some great powder, but in 3 trips (12 total days) to Snowbird, I have yet to ski in the sun on the frontside even on days when it's sunny in Mineral Basin. I'll ski over to Alta on the same day to find deeper powder stashes, sunny skies and a wider variety steeps (chutes, bowls, trees, etc.) If you could pick up Snowbird and turn it 90 degrees towards the sun and move it away from Alta, Snowbird would be much more impressive as a stand alone resort. On the flip side of that, the Alta-Snowbird combined pass makes for some of the best skiing anywhere in the world in a single or combined resort. Unfortunately, the combined pass is very pricy especially when I find myself spending most of my time in Alta.