by: anonymous_user - 17th March 2008

I spent a week skiing in Utah (Mar. 9-15, 2008). I happened to ski Snowbasin on March 13-here are some of my impressions. 1). Terrain-I found the terrain to be both impressive as well as challenging. Unlike the resorts in the Park City area, Snowbasin is more of a "mountain" than a collection of individual ski hills, so your "runs" consist of much more vertical and are a lot longer. I skied each of the Olympic downhill courses and took several runs off of the John Paul Express quad. All consisted of long, long groomers on which you can build up some serious speed. My only regret was that the snow conditions weren't very good that day. There was no fresh snow and the sky was overcast throughout most of the day-so I really didn't get to sample more of the double blacks. However, I found Snowbasin's groomers to be much more challenging than what you'd find at any of the 3 Park City resorts. 2). Lifts-Snowbasin has a modern lift system. There are 3 gondolas, 1 high speed quad and a couple of older, slow chairs. I thought that the best skiing was off of the super-long John Paul express quad. It runs from the base to a high mountain lodge. From here you can access several black and double black runs or take a tram to the start of the Olympic downhill course(s). The only complaint that I have with Snowbasin's lifts is the lack of a mid-mountain, high speed lift-but only because I got tired of continuously skiing all the way to the bottom. This is only a matter of taste though! 3). Facilities-Snowbasin has the most impressive on-mountain lodges in the USA. The Needles lodge at the Tram base is particularly impressive. I've been to Vail, Aspen & Deer Valley and none of these places can match Snowbasin in this area. They've literally built several Country Clubs on the mountain. Brass, luxurious carpeting, leather furniture is used in abundance. The food was typical ski resort fare but it was cheaper to eat here than it was at Snowbird. 4). The Verdict-I like Snowbasin a lot and hope to visit when snow conditions are better. I felt it was well worth a trip from Park City-especially if you are an advanced skier such as myself.