by: anonymous_user - 15th March 2008

I was in Utah last week (Mar. 9-15, 2008) and decided to try out Deer Valley for the very first time on Mar. 11th. Being an advanced skier, I wasn't really impressed with DV's terrain. Most of the mountain is groomed and after a while it seemed as if all of the runs were the same. However, I did find some pretty good expert runs off of the Mayflower triple chair, in Ontario bowl and a very sweet gladed run called Centennial. I also skied each of the runs that were used in the Salt Lake Olympics-which the resort convieniently marks. Overall, the combination of groomers & expert faces made the resort worth visiting. Another thing that I liked about DV was their lift system. Virtually, everything here is high-speed-so if you're like me and determined to get your money's worth, the lift system insures that you'll get in a lot of runs. I was also impressed with DV's lay out. Once you ride up from the base you are distributed into an area in which several of the resort's peaks are easily accessible-moving around is very easy & quick-unlike the Canyons, which I skied the day before. As for the resort's famous food services & mountain lodges, I really didn't see anything special here. I thought that the on-mountain facilities at Snowbasin were much more impressive and the Hot Chocolate and Cookie that I consumed were on par with most of the other places that I've been too. However, I was surprised to find that it was actually cheaper to eat here than it was at Snowbird. Overall, I liked DV and felt that it was worth a visit. It is far from intimidating and is a great place for beginners and casual skiers. The staff & patrol are very friendly and helpful and everyone there seems determined to insure that you have a good time. Terrain-wise, this is not the best resort in the US but they do great job in many other areas.