Related Regions: Utah, North America, United States

Brian Head Resort Firsthand Reports

Firsthand, user-generated ski reports from Brian Head Resort.

14.5 | 15.5 | 16.5 | 17.5
Brian Head Resort +

Jan 9 snowed on us and it was a tad windy but the new snow falling was good. There might not be a ton of coverage but you make it fun and you'll enjoy it. The food was really pricy but that's why I usually bring my own food!

Powder 1"
annoyomous

I mean it's not that bad, coming from what the person below is ranting about. I'm from San Diego and lets just say it's a whole lot better than big bear. Yeah off trails are pretty icy, groomed runs are pretty nice. If you're looking for off run powder skiing, then no it's not the place for you. It's been a pretty late winter everywhere so you just have to give it time. Another big tip if you're coming out here, if you want a 5 day pass for 175$ then you have to say you want the "family and friend pass" if you don't say that then they charge you 240 for a 5 day pass, it's dumb.

3 years ago - Brian Head Resort.

Probably out last year i

In 30+ years I have never seen it so bad. We left two days early ... No point in staying and the damage to our skies was significant. Brianhead has new owners this year and it shows that they have no ski resort experience. Yes they put a little money into the lodges but not much (3.5M). Mother Nature has not cut them any breaks - no snow and they have exhausted their snow making water reservoirs. The new owners come from the golf industry and it's evident they have no clue what they are doing. The new food manager is awful ( burgers bad, pizza bad, no salad bar, empty cold cases, no sundries - not only is the food awful but he doesn't know anything about skiers or retail. The basic of $ per square foot escape him... Honestly you can't even buy a candy bar on the Mtn... The only ski resort in the US that you can't get a Snickers at. The staff is not happy with the new systems - which are not implemented correctly ... Ugh, what a disaster. Also, if they survive this winter their goal is to turn BH into a Mammoth East, and alternative for the So Cal /LA snow boarding crowd. They are adding two more terrains parks for a total of 3 ... Sorry folks, but say good by to the old family friendly BH... sad I grew up skiing here, my kids have grown up here but even when the snow comes back I don't think we will be... It's time to move on to Deer Valley and Little Cottonwood C.

anonymous user

Windy and icy... Rocks everywhere... Food prices are ridiculous. Brian Head used to be a good deal but no longer. I'll try eagle point before I give up on southern Utah skiing.

brians

Good posts,, bout time real info!! Thxx

Brian Head Resort +

If you are complaining about the $5 tax, then you are in the wrong sport. First time in brian head, and we are having a blast. Some things on the mountain are a little unorganized, but as far as snow- our cabin has snow in the woods for sledding. Very happy about that. Skiing is decent. Definitely could use a storm. Groomed on the trails, off trail is powdery, but rocks are coming through in spots, so its a little scary. On trail is like typical spring skiing. Giant steps area has faster lifts and shorter lines.

Machine Groomed
djo iPhone

The past couple of posts are spot on. Only one initial way down from Giant Steps with ice, rocks, crowds of beginners, bombers is a bummer. Why no overnight snowmaking as surely cold enough over night? Seems like more attention is made to the tubing park than the trails. And what's up with the 10% tax on the lift tickets??? That was a surprise. No mention of that anywhere until the cashier pops that one on you.

Machine Groomed
Susan's iPhone

We went for New Year's Day. Forked over $60 plus tax $65 (New law in effect at BH, tax) Beautiful day despite the winds at times. Busy around the mountain, beginners all over mid-mountain. Hard packed, rocky terrain. Definitely needs Snow making. Won't be riding at BH until the base is at least double.

Hard Packed
iPhone

Conditions are best in the morning because the top of giant steps gets quite icy by the end of the day. We definitely need more snow. Dunes is getting really thin with rocks and bare spots showing. Coverage on the main giant steps runs are ok, no bare spots but there are rocks and grass showing in places. Roulette has some icy and rocky places but is ok overall. The park has a great set up but is poorly maintained

Brian Head Resort +

I rode Xmas Eve. It was really soft and thin in places. The main mountain is very flat although a section serviced by the lift The Dunes was still not open, and on the trail map it looked really cool. Navajo is very flat as well. The park was very good with lots of rails and boxes of all skill levels. Two steep medium jumps and not much progression there. 27" looked accurate to me particularly on Navajo. Given the relative proximity, I came from Los Angeles, I would recommend Eagle Point near Beaver over this place. Eagle Point has nicer facilities steeper runs, plus more and better snow. Not to mention less people. I felt more secluded in Eagle Point as well. But if your a park rat you won't find much to jib on so you might want to go to BrianHead. Side note, I've been to a lot of resorts in Utah and Brian Head was the most diverse. I heard more Spanish there than at any other resort outside of California :)

Packed powder 0"