by: TomTahoe - 4th March 2011

No snowboarder packed powder
bullying locals

I live and ski Lake Tahoe so I looked forward to ski at Alta where no snowboarders are allowed; in Tahoe the wide boards especially on beginners who leave 3 feet wide paths of compressed snow behind them cause powder days to end by 11AM routinely. So I was very happy to have powder days at Alta like they used to be with skiable terrain all day long, no need to hunt for soft snow, it was everywhere. I have to disagree with prior posters stating there were no lift lines;au contraire, there were massive lines on the powder days for obvious reasons but on a Sunday after a powder day with the sun out, the singles line was stretched almost to the parking lot. The prior day however was a powder day but with snow and low visibility so the fair weather skiers stayed home and there were no lines. The only negative for me,which is relevant to only a few diehard powder hounds, was the attitude of the locals on powder days waiting for the lifts to open. In Tahoe we line up 1-2 hours in advance depending on the resort, first come first in line. At Alta I arrived 75 min early only to find a bunch of locals there already holding places for their friends and "assigning" places in line;10 min before the lift opened one local arrived and calmly walked into his place right ahead of me. Signing up for ski school is the best way to get around these locals;they booed the ski school when they got on the lift first but no boos for their friends cutting line.