by: Rob - 31st March 2009

Huge expanse of open terrain
A bit isolated

Fiss, Serfas, and Ladis are three small Austrian towns that cling to the mountainside at about the 1400m level. I stayed in the town of Ried, and had about a 15 min drive up a winding road to the lifts. This is a very wide open area, mostly above treeline. Unlike some mountains where you only get a glimpse of the terrain from the base, at Fiss it's all spread out in front of you. It's a pretty intimidating hunk of mountain! The upper reaches of the mountain were not open the day I visited...not sure if that was due to high winds, avalanche hazard, of the lateness of the season. Still, the off-piste possibilities in the upper elevations seemed absolutely limitless...but it also looked like a place you could trigger an avalanche, so I'd pay attention to signs. I was able to get up to about the 2300m level, and it was great snow, even in late March. The area had good and modern lifts, except for some chairs that seemed painfully slow. There were several great on-mountain restaurants with breathtaking views, and I had a good lunch for 12 euro...not bad. . A lift ticket was 43.50 euro, with a 5 euro refund for returning pass. Not sure if that was an off-season rate, but it struck me as a good deal. I will definitely try to return here next year to explore some more off-piste!