by: govey80 - 23rd September 2009

Powder, Diverse Terrain, & Expansive Pistes All Under One Pass
Town Lacks The Charm Of Other Austrian Ski-Towns (St. Anton)

The most amazing week of skiing that I've ever had in my life! Knee deep+ powder for 6 days in a row, and it was all mine. I ran laps down Ski Route - 90, under Chair C-2, under Chair D-8, & in the bowl between the D-8 Chair and the 3S cable car all week with barely a sole with me. I had to force myself to explore other areas of the mountain because my legs were turning into wet noodles with so many powder turns. It seemed as if powder is kryptonite to Europeans because I was all alone in the powder fields except for a few other Americans. I never stood in a lift line (except at the gondola base) longer than 3 minutes despite being there during the European holiday weeks. The wait for the bus at the end of the day was the longest wait all trip. Day two was a whiteout blizzard, but the snow was incredible, and no one was on the mountain. Since I spent most of my time in less traveled areas of the resort, I can imagine there being longer lines during blue sky days in the main ski areas. I don't have kids so I don't know the quality or cost of the family oriented services, but as an outside observer they seem to be topnotch. I have no idea about the terrain park since I don't look for them. I took off 1 star from the nightlife area because despite plenty of bars, restaurants and clubs to head out to (I have not been to a European ski resort where there weren't plenty of good party places); the town itself was a bit of a disappointment. They tout their charm, but having been to Chamonix, Zermatt, Courmayeur, St. Anton, & Innsbruck , I was disappointed. The town felt more like a suburban neighborhood attached to a ski resort rather than an alpine ski town. Obviously, the perfect snow conditions made my experience off the charts, but I think on a normal ski week this would still be a topnotch ski resort.