by: Sally Black - 25th January 2009

Great hotels, hotel to slopes bus service, city centre apres ski
Inconvenience of bus ride to the slopes might annoy some

We stayed in Innsbruck at Easter-time and had a great time. I was surprised to see one reviewer saying it took an hour from his hotel to Axamer Lizum as for us it only took half that at most and we were also staying in central Innsbruck. I's a great set up really as you can stay very cheaply in a nice four or five star hotel as they're busier in the summer, so unlike most ski resorts they have over capacity in winter which drives the price down. Then a nice big bus picks ypou up each morning outside the hotel and you have a nice scenic drive through beautiful Innsbruck up to the ski slopes. You have a choice of different areas as there are about eight on the pass but we especially liked Axamer Lizum - there were wide open slopes, and the long red Women's dopwnhill race course from the Olympics when they were staged here is a great fast cruiser. It's one of the places I'd love to go back to. Then the bus collected you in the afternoon, you had a nice swim, sauna and hot tub in the hotel spa and then you had the city size facilities of Innsbruck for apres ski - superb!