by: DerekT - 3rd January 2011

Natural Snow when it snows
Lifts, Rope pulls, limited snow making

Deer Mountain is slowly improving, food was cooked while you waited, however I ordered something and was told it would be a 10 minute wait. I waited ten minutes and then came back and waited at the counter for 15 more minutes. I asked why it took over 20 minutes to get my food and was told that it didn't take that long. I talked to the manager about it and was offered a refund of my money. The two sticking points I had on the whole issue was the time it took for the food that I could have been skiing that much sooner, and the fact that the person initially called me a liar by saying that it didn't take over 20 minutes. There only excuse was that they were "busy". They had 3 people waiting to order food and one other besides myself waiting to pick up food. If that is busy then Deer Mountain will never reach there desired recognition as "premier ski area" of the Black Hills. The other thing is that they had open runs that had more dirt and gravel in them than they did snow. This was mentioned to the manager during our conversation and the nest time i came down the hill they had them roped off. Some snow making in the early year would greatly improve skiing conditions at Deer Mountain. A high speed lift and a magic carpet would be a great improvement as well.