by: anonymous_user - 4th December 2005

I had a slightly different experience than the other reviewer. Zell Am See was a real disappoitnment to me, aside from the spectacular setting and amazing views. First the town is a zoo - the crowds are unbelivable! And you know what the means for the mountain - long lines and surly employees. It reminded me way too much of Squaw Valley. But the very worst thing is the way we were treated at the end of the day. My nine year-old was completely wrung out when we lifted back to the top so we could ride the gondola down. Unfortunately we were four minutes too late - last Talbfahrt (download) is at 4:00pm period end of story and tough luck if you miss it. The lift operator was quite rude about it in fact, leaving us on our own to figure out how to get our exhausted child down to the valley. Thanks goodness the ski patrol was more understanding. I cannot fathom who at this ski resort thinks it is smart to force over-tired skiers and boarders to labor their way to the bottom of the mountain as the light fails, rather than offering a safe route home for those who may have over-extended.I can't wait to return to Austria for mroe skiing, but Zell will no longer be at the top of my destination list...