by: Pastywanger - 26th January 2007

I loved Zell am See from the minute we arrived, it is a beautiful little town situated on the edge of a lake, the views from the mountain are spectacular. The hotel staff were exceptionally friendly and always had time to stop and ask how the day went, the food was also exceptional, 5 courses every night with a set menu and 5 other options should you not like what was on offer. We had no new snow while we were in Austria but the piste bashers did a great job with the snow they had, the pastes were always well looked after and we often saw the bashers out during the day to keep it a good as possible. The Slopes are great for beginner/intermediate but for the higher level snowboarder/skier I would advise going to the glacier at Kaprun. Kaprun Is a pain to get to from Zell am See, it’s a 30 minute bus ride and the bus is normally jam packed, which makes for a very unpleasant journey. W hen you finally arrive at the glacier you then have an extra 30 odd minutes to get to the top. I strongly advise NOT getting the cable car at the top, you can get chair and drag lifts to the top with out the discomfort of being shoehorned into the cable car and without the 45 minute wait. Kaprun is great for those who dare the off piste (talking from boarders point of view) but as a boarder I found the drag lifts at the top to be a complete pain (literally). For intermediate skiers though I would have thought the glacier would be your best bet if you can handle the crowds. The nightlife in Zell was fine, I went with my girlfriend her brother and their mother and we were not looking for jumping techno nights, the bar under our hotel (Zum Hirschen) seemed to be the best bar we could find to suit the type of evening we wanted, relaxed but with good(ish) music and Great service. Crazy Daisies was a nightmare the staff were rude and the service was diabolical. All in all I would go back to Zell tomorrow, it is beautiful, relaxed and the people are amazing, great for all ages. If you’re looking for lots of après ski I’d go elsewhere though. Hopefully it’ll snow next time we are there. If you’re going, go to hotel Zum Hirschen.