by: ndabunka - 4th April 2009

Full Mountain open
Many party "staples" closed

I noticed that the last review submitted was about a year ago and by the same guy from prior reviews. I am an east coast resident (charlotte, NC) but ski all over the place (Colorado, Utah, Germany, Austria, etc). I had the chance to ski (am skiing) Saalbach this weekend (April 4th/5th). Every "groomed" slope was open but (of course), most off pistle was (understandably) marked OB. Some very good long runs that will KILL your legs. Decent reds and a black or two. Lots of easy Blue runs. Weather was freezing at night and in the 50's during the day. Morning is pretty decent but the conditions turn to slush by 2pm so get the skiing in early. Goatstadl was DEAD @ 3:00 in the afternoon so I didn't stop but a set of friends I met from England said they came in right after I left and it started to "come alive" around 3:30-4pm so the party is still here albeit in selective locations. The clubs in Alpenhotel and nearly every other late night were all shut down so I spent the Friday night in the hotel bar (Eva). Very family-oriented resort but can also serve the party crowd. I skied Oberteraun about 3 weeks prior. The two resorts are similar in size. Getting into the center of town in Saalbach is a bit tricky for a first timer (myself) as you have to take a tunnel once you actually get to Hinterglemm in order to get to city center. Once there, it was a pleasure.