Stoneham Mountain Resort Review

by: lisarushingleach - Mar 20, 2011

Pros: Uncrowded, polite, safety conscious

Cons: Not good for first time skiiers

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2011

We just got back from three days skiing in Stoneham, Quebec. We are from Dallas and wanted to find an uncrowded ski resort in Canada that was good for our family to go on Spring Break and we could use our American Airlines frequent flyer miles to get there. We could not find many reviews and thought we would write one to help out others. This resort is 20 minutes north of Quebec City. We would highly recommend staying downtown for a few days before or after skiing in Stoneham. The resort is 326 acres of skiiable area, so it is not as large as many other resorts. There are three areas of the mountain to ski. The one in the center is the high speed quad lift and the one on the right hand side is a slower lift to the more extreme black runs with the exception of one blue run. There are multiple terrain parks along several of the runs. When we were there, we found that most other skiers were locals and very experienced. We arrived the week following the local Spring Break which helped with the not being crowded. I would classify us as once per year beginner/intermediate skiers with the exception of my son who is 14 and can comfortable ski some black runs. He was happy with the variety and plays around in the terrain parks a little. We found the overall feel of the resort extremely layed back. I personally can't image trying to learn to ski there, in that the bunny slope and the next one up is very steep and would have terrified me when I was first learning. I am a very cautious skier. There is very little apres-ski activities, but you can always drive 20 minutes and get to Quebec City if you like. The area is beautiful and we would also recommend going to the Hotel de Glace (Ice), and the Valcartier snow park, which was the largest winter playground I have ever seen. We spent an entire day there at the end of our trip. Overall, we really liked Stoneham and would go back to the area again, but maybe next time we will try St. Anne or Mont Tremblant.