by: - 14th January 2014

Large area, easy skiing
hard to follow piste maps/signs

Just back from Sauze D'oulx, had an excellent time. We stayed at the Hotel Splendid, which was very good, nice staff and good food, its a bit dated, but not bothered about that. I have been to Sauze before, about 7 years ago and it is much as I remember it. They had a lot of snow before we arrived and we had a week of glorious sun. There is a vast area to ski and the option to ski across the top to Sestriere and other resorts on the same lift pass. Well worth it if you are comfortable on reds, but if not there is plenty to ski in Sauze itself. The runs were well pisted over night and lasted well through the day, with very few people on them on the week days, only getting marginally busier at the weekends, with the locals. There is a majority of red runs, but the grading system is not the best, so many of the red runs could have been blues and most blues tend to be paths. This is a great resort for beginers and intermediates. Saying that, there is plenty to occupy all levels of skiers and I wasn't bored and managed to ski many kilometers, without going over the same ground to much. Overall, a great place and I would definitely go back.