by: Nick - 17th February 2009

Nice facilities
Too expensive for what you get; poor snowmaking

We went to Whitetail last Friday before President's Day weekend and I literally had the worst day of skiing I have had in 25 years of skiing. We chose Whitetail since it is only 2 hours from DC and they stated that they had all slopes and most lifts open. I thought conditions would be good since it was mid-February and right before one of the biggest ski weekends of the season. When we got there everything seemed fine - they had greeters and the facilities were newer and nice. But when we got out to the slopes I started getting worried. There were big patches of brown on the sides of the trails, leaves and debris all over the slopes as well as spots where the snow was brown with dirt. Once on the slopes it was a granular icy slush that was heavy and very hard to ski on. I skied for about an hour and couldn't take it anymore. When I had to stop at one point and carefully ski around dirt and debris on one trail, I had had enough. We were enraged that a place that charges $47 for a lift ticket does not ensure that it makes enough snow to cover its slopes. Apparently they were planning on making snow that night, but what about all the people that skied there in the weeks leading up to it? Also, I own my own skis but my friend had to rent ($50 for rentals) so he spent almost $100 for an hour of horrible skiing. I will never go back. Note to Whitetail - if you are going to build a ski resort in southern PA, plan to have to make snow and often. I am sure with the ridiculous prices you charge, you can afford it!