March Conditions--Like Skiing Through Mud

by: SnomanPack355 - Mar 4, 2010

Pros: No crowds. High-speed lift.

Cons: VERY slushy conditions.

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2010

Went to Whitetail on Wednesday, March 3rd with a friend and her two children. We had had some rain the day before but I thought temps would be low enough to still have decent conditions. I was very wrong. Except for a few small patches, the snow was thick slush. I could count on one hand the times my edges found solid footing. The intermediate trails were terrible--very difficult to turn when you had some speed. The black diamonds were OK up top, but turned slushy towards the bottom. We ended up on the green slopes in the afternoon because it was kinda fun since turning wasn't such a challenge without as much speed.

Now, the conditions can't be blamed on the resort. It is what it is and I remember some reviewers complaining about the southeastern exposure. Perhaps that's what it was. It hasn't really been that warm so far (low 40's a few days) so I was expecting better conditions.

I'm not sure if this is typical Whitetail in March but I will avoid it this late in the season, just in case. All-in-all, it was better than working in the office but it was still a fair amount of work.