Spring Mt Ski Review - Good for kiddies, so-so for you

by: al287 - Dec 30, 2008

Pros: short easy slopes, close to Philly

Cons: short easy slopes, too many kiddies

Recommended For: Family Friendly, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2008

FYI, I'm a mid-20s girl. I've been to all of the major ski places around the Philly area for the past decade. I don't rent skis and I didn't take a lesson here. Didn't use terrain park & didn't check out nightlife. First, the positives... my folks hung out in the restaurant part of the lodge away from the crowds downstairs. The waitresses there are the absolute nicest and will give you coffee/soda refills all day without ever telling you to free up the table. Also, the upstairs bathrooms are clean and don't stink. I went to the ski school to buy a lift ticket (no line) and got a good description of the open trails and conditions. They didn't blast any snowblowers at the lifts or skiiers - a wonderful first! Trails not too icy. Also, they check lift tickets at the base of the hill so the chairlift lines don't get as congested. Weekend/holiday crowds are fairly small!

Now, the negatives. The slopes here are really small and simple. Like all the other reviewers mentioned, there are tons of teenyboppers here and a lot of the little boys will try to kamikaze you for no apparent reason. You also need a bus ride to get to the right side of the mountain (blue & black trails)... a total pain. The chair lifts are super slow - 1 lift took me 5.5 min to go up and 1.5 min to ski down casually. Plus your butt will hurt from the seats. Parents w/o lift tickets aren't allowed onto the hill to take pictures (...unless you sneak in thru the side by the parking lot... you didn't hear that from me).

Overall advice: if you have young kids, are easily intimidated by skiing/snowboarding, are kinda cheap, don't want to go far, then come here. Intermediate+ athletes, non-teens, people with a flair for luxury, you might want to try somewhere else. I'd definitely revisit next time I just want to do lots of smooth easy runs.