Excellent Opening Day

by: Camille Claudote - Dec 14, 2013

Pros: Best Value for Families

Cons: No Bar

Recommended For: Singles, Family Friendly

I have been skiing/riding in PA for 32 years. My family and I make monthly trips to Vermont and annual trips to Switzerland but our bread and butter is Spring Mountain. We explored other local ski areas in recent years (Bear Creek and Blue) but found that in both cases we were paying A LOT more money for not much more mountain. Yes, Spring is small but so is Bear and Blue. The difference is that Spring doesn't pretend to be big nor does it charge big mountain prices. If you are teaching your kids to ski there is simply no place better. If you are riding rails in the park this is also a good place to perfect your park skills. If you are an alpine skiier seeking long, challenging runs than this is not the place for you. It's a family ski area with an emphasis on teaching and their instructors are fantastic. My only problem with Spring is that their is no bar although they say they will have one this season. My family also enjoys tubing and Spring Mountain's tubing run is the fastest and most exciting in the area. True it does require you to control your own speed (or smack a giant air bag) but this is what makes it fun. The other mountain's tubing runs are more like "lazy rivers" in comparison. Tubing does get crowded on Saturdays though. My advice after 32 years is take your family on a Sunday night (Family night, best price anywhere) and stay away from Thursday's (student night, crowded with teens and loud music) and Saturday's. Every other day of the week you will not find a line anywhere.

P.S. They have the best hot-dogs/sausage sandwiches outside at "Love Hotdog". Expensive but you will not forget it.