by: gma - 13th July 2009

Steep Lower Runs
Some Specifics And An Odd Feel

This place is handy for a lot of people. If I were among them, I'd probably ski here once in a while when I couldn't convince somebody to run up to Elk. This isn't a plant by the way. This is a guy who has skied each hill once on consecutive days. Both with good weather in late March of 2008. Sno Mountain is a strange place. I pulled into the mid-mountain lot, parked next to a closed lift ticket trailer at the top of the lower lift and wondered what was up. There was some construction so, if they've cleaned it up a bit in the last year, hey, great. I still wouldn't ever have expected to find the lodge where it is, seemingly uphill of everything with no ready access to any lift worth skiing from. Most everything above it is a tilted pasture with a thin tree line seperating the trails. The terrain below it was really enjoyable as it was steep, consistent, and turned from unskied courderouy to butter for an hour or so before getting sloppy on a warm, deserted, March afternoon. I skied what I think I remember as the pitch on the outside left of the lower chair, it was so smooth, I looked up and thought, Mother Nature didn't make that. The liftie was kind enough to confirm that dynamite did. The industrial view of I-81 doesn't help the atmosphere much either. The one lift that actually runs from the bottom of the hole you feel like you are in when skiing the lower terrain to the top is a nightmare. I'm fine with very slow lifts that access very good terrain. This thing drove me nuts once I got above the decent pitch and started racing box turtles up the tilted pasture. I guess I just didn't turn out to be a fan.