Just OK Skiing and a Few Issues

by: Nickdog1977 - Feb 17, 2009

Pros: Decent Expert Terain

Cons: Poor Layout; Questionable Management

Recommended For: Singles

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2009

We skied at Sno Mountain the day after an amazing day of skiing at Elk Mountain, so in fairness it had a lot to live up to. Although the skiing was not bad, there just seemed to be one annoyed thing after another making the overall experience mediocre at best. First, the lodge facilities were just so-so with a perimeter of annoying 1980s video games around the main sitting area. It wasn't charming, just dated and annoying. Then we skied out of the lodge and it was unclear where we needed to go since the lodge is mid-mountain and the lifts poorly marked. After poling down to the lift we finally got on the slopes. Most of the blue intermediate trails at the top were similar and predictable with little variety, but Sno's best feature is its lower expert terrain. Since I like to ski the expert trails, I was able to ski from the top to the bottom and get a nice long run in. However, on the downside, Sno's management decided not to open the only lift that goes from top to bottom. Thus, I had to take one slow lift up then ski to another slow lift to get to the top. This was very annoying and I felt like I was on the chair lift more than the slopes. I asked several of the Sno employees why the main lift (the only one that goes all the way from top to bottom) wasn't open and after mostly confusing looks and responses like "It's not open?", I was told that they don't open it until 3PM, which makes no sense to me. Then to add to the annoyance, my friend’s rental ski flew off while he was on a black diamond because the binding was not locked properly by the rental employees. Luckily he was not hurt, but he had to walk down the mountain in his boots and take the lift up without skis or any help from Sno employees. I addressed this with management and explained how dangerous this was and how he could have been seriously hurt. While the manager seemed vaguely concerned and slightly annoyed, the rental guy was very apologetic. After some back and forth they did reimburse my friend for his rentals and give him new skis. Unfortunately the whole ordeal ate up about an hour of our ski time. So in summary, despite our case-specific problems, Sno is fine for a day of skiing in the Poconos, although it would not be my first choice and I would probably go elsewhere in the future.