by: daniwrites - 18th February 2008

Please be aware I am reviewing Shawnee based on PA skiing. It is obvious this mountain and many others in the Poconos do not compare to West Coast or VT skiing... That being said: I did not like Shawnee. I went Sunday Feb 17, and thought it would be less crowded because of the forecast for rain later on that day. I was wrong--it was PACKED. The green trails were littered with people and many snowboarders rammed into skiers and vice versa. The easy trails were filled with inexperienced skiers and we spent most our day trying to dodge people on the ground and ski around others. This especially sucks considering how TINY this hill is. Some blue trails (lower Delaware especially) were nothing but a sheet of ice towards the bottom. The rental process was a joke. The skis I had were horrible and chunks were missing and the locker area/room smelled disgusting. I had my own boots but still paid full rental price. The bathrooms in the lodge were also filthy and messy. The food-- not good either but most lodge food isn't to die for. It is worth it to drive a little further to Camelback or my favorite--Blue Mountain (if you want to stay in PA). Shawnee has a good ski school and may be good place to take your children-- but if you are looking to get some fun skiing in with friends--skip this place.