by: stfrailey - 3rd January 2013

Easy terrain, cheap tickets, not crowded, fast lift
Easy terrain, 1st time lesson was lame

Visited Shawnee for the day with my first time skier brothers on Jan 2nd. First of all, amazing deal online $59 for ticket, rental, and lesson. This is a full lift ticket not the usual bunny slope limited ticket. Grooming and trails were good for the time of year. Trails were open as advertised on the website, however only two lifts were running when 5 were advertised. This was the bunny slope double and the express quad. Not a big deal since the express quad is the only lift you'll want to take anyway and all terrain is available from this lift, albeit with some flat ground traversing at the top. Mountain was easy. Hardest thing there is probably an average east coast blue. Enjoyable through the intermediate level though. Biggest issue was the lesson my brothers got. The beginner lesson was extremely basic and did not include any runs on the bunny slope, just shuffling up the almost entirely flat learning area and coasting down. Given the low price of this mountain, I would recommend some sort of extended lesson as I saw groups of 2 or 3 going up with instructors on the bunny lift. As for nightlife, I was only there during the day but I didn't see much of anything. There is a base lodge bar that looks pretty standard and one casual bar a mile out that was advertised. I saw nothing else in the area.