Great for families!

by: keneikirk - Dec 26, 2010

Pros: Price, location, snow coverage

Cons: not very challenging

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2010

Ski Shawnee isn't the best place I've skied but I can't imagine not having fun skiing and it was a great place for my family who are mostly beginners. We went snow tubing one day and that was a lot of fun. Another day we all went skiing and for our family of 8, it cost at least $200 less than anywhere else in the Poconos (or anywhere else for that matter), but that deal was good only thru 12/24.

Shawnee is different because the top of the mountain tends to be easier than the bottom (all of the black diamonds are on the bottom half). There were some icy spots but not too many and we had no problem with that. I thought the black diamonds were really blues, but they are definitely more challenging than the blue trails and the blues are more challenging that the greens.

The food was typical ski resort cafeteria food but we brought our own food, which we typically do anyway. Coolers aren't allowed in so we went and got our food from our car at lunchtime and brought it into the lodge in bags. During our time there, there weren't a lot of people there so we had plenty of room on the slopes and the lift lines were almost non-existent. The high-speed quad chair lift takes you up to the top real quick so you can get a lot of runs in.