by: Vincent Kiste - 9th September 2010

rural
poor administration

Make sure you get a confirmation before arriving. Booked a room for Saturday, 21 August but reservationist got mixed up and booked us for Friday, 20 August. If Hidden Valley Resort’s treatment of guests in distress is any measure of its future survivability, it will not be around much longer, esp given the competition in the area. Made Saturday, 21 Aug reservation by phone with credit card deposit but did not get email confirmation. Phoned a day later and re-requested email confirmation but still did not receive it. Upon arrival, learned that reservationist mistakenly booked us for Friday, 20 Aug in spite of confirming by phone – twice – before arrival that booking was Saturday. I wasn’t too uptight about not getting an email confirmation since this was rural Penn and these folks usually really go out of their way to take care of visitors, taking pride that you are visiting their cherished part of the US. Nevertheless, all rooms were booked Saturday, leaving us to find another accommodation at 8 pm on a busy Saturday night in an unfamiliar area. HV Resort also did not know the status was with all its rooms: front desk clerk mentioned that she had a room where a guest was supposed to have checked-out but their belongings were still in the room - at 8 pm! Clerk refused to vacate the room for us in spite of our need and the guest having gone way past their check-out time. The clerk mentioned alternatives in the area but did not phone on our behalf. Instead, she watched us phone from the lobby. We ended up booking a room at a more expensive resort 20 min away. HV Resort refunded us the deposit later with an apology but would not accommodate our request to be comp-ed for a future visit or pay the difference between resorts for the lost time and inconvenience. I phoned the HVR reservation manager Monday. He claimed not to be empowered to offer any future comp room or to fund the difference. He deferred instead to another senior manager who did not make time for him all week. When I suggested to the reservation manager that I would post here about my experience, he seemed fine with it.