by: Skiingrox - 6th October 2008

Scenery, lack of commercialization, friendly staff
Very crowded on Saturdays, few night trails

I wish I could diss on Elk....so I could have the hill to myself! This mountain is a hidden gem. OK, you have to take into account this is a resort in PA, not CO or VT. All of the bad reviews that I have read appear to be by people expecting a CO or VT experience. If you visit with an understanding that you are in PA you will really enjoy the Elk experience. There is terrrain for all sking levels....~11 advanced slopes, 8 intermediate slopes and 4 beginner slopes, though I would rate the overall terrain as upper intermediate. Don't let the number of trails be deceiving as most are pretty long. The most difficult trail is the heavy moguled Tunkhannok. Tiago, a long winding beginner trail, is great for warming up. I would recommend skiing on a weekday or Sunday as the lift lines Saturdays get pretty long, especially after lunch. Elk has a few 'Winterfest' celebrations each season where you can buy a $20 lift ticket from local ski shops good for Friday skiing only. More information is available on the Elk website via the special events link. I highly recommend the Winterfest days as an intermediate/advanced skiier can get in 20 runs in by the end of the day. My friends and make a point to ski every trail before we end the day. I hope you enjoy Elk as much as I do.