by: Rich - 18th March 2009

Fast lifts, great spring snow with a lot open
expensive food that's no good

I went to Camelback resort on Monday, March 16, 2009. It was my first trip to CB and I was impressed with the snow coverage this late in the year. The conditions were perfect corn/spring conditions which is what I was hoping for. They only had two lifts running on the main hill, plus the beginner lift. But that didn't matter because there were no lift lines and all trails are accessible by the two lifts. Those two lifts are high-speed quads so that made it even better because you could make more runs in less time. I was actually wore out at the end of my four-hour session because I think I took more runs than I do normally on a six-hour day at Seven Springs. So in short, the good about this place is the lifts and the snow coverage being open 100% this late in the season. Another good thing was the $39 lift ticket. I felt that was very reasonable with the entire resort still open. The bad would have to be the food. I ate in the Coconut Cafe (I think that's what it was called) and it was terrible. At most resorts I get the Chicken Finger & Fries basket. I except to pay about $6.00-$8.00 for that combo, so the price at $7.50 was on the higher end, but still not out of touch with other resorts (out of touch with reality of what it's worth...maybe -lol). But the problem was it was for three burnt and dried out chicken finger and some soggy fries. I was very disappointed. Then to top it off they didn't have ketchup! I had to find a bottle sitting on someones table and ask them to use it. One other bad thing, and maybe this is a bit on the nit-picky side...but the high speed lift on the left as you look at the resort from the bottom of the hill is very bumpy when you go over pole supports. Something I'm not sure about is the "Terrain Park Pass." I saw on the website that you need to watch a video, fill out a waiver and pay an extra $5 to be allowed in the terrain parks. I'm not sure if that is just for the weekends or what, but I was not presented with the $5 option when I bought my lift ticket. I saw a sign at the entrance of the park saying you'd be kicked out if you didn't have a park pass, but no one there to stop you. Beyond the confusion about the extra $5. I would say I see the concept or the idea behind doing that, but if they're going to charge extra I think they need to have a nicer park. The two jumps I was continually hitting (the second two jumps in the large park area) were designed wrong; the lips threw your nose in the air instead of allowing you to float smoothly off the lip. If I were forced to pay extra and take the time to watch a video, I would have been disappointed. But, to keep the park less crowed or with less "I don't belong here" riders, I see the concept. Overall I would go back and I would recommend this place to a friend. Especially if I'm thinking of a late season outing when some other resorts have packed it up for the season or are only open on weekends.