by: Art Zinn - 25th February 2009

Decent vertical drop, Variety of trails, 4 lodges
Crowded , Gets skiied off very early, Locker room has been eliminated

Skiied Saturday Feb 21, 2009. Arrived at 8:15 AM 15 minutes before lifts open to public. Seaon passholders who came out in droves at 7:30 AM had already churnrd up most of the trails , Solid 10 minute lift lines by 9:30 AM. The good news was at 10:00 AM they opened all of the lifts. This included Cleopatra that I have never seen in operation since the high speed quads were installed. The bad news of course were the hoards of skiiers on the slopes. A further complication was some kind of ski racing camp that closed down the Pocono Raceway for the day. Another disappointment was the removal of the bar at the Camel top lodge. I used to really enjoy having a Yuengling while taking in the panoramic view from the top of the mountain. Now Cameltop is nothing special. Big disappointment was the loss of the locker room. Now you have to change into your ski gear outdoors in the cold. There are also very few places to sit so you may have to wait 10 or 15 minutes for one of the 4 seats available to put your boots on. There was no sign indicating where the change machine was for the lockers. Lift ticket sales people refused to provide change for lockers claiming there was a change machine there someplace. I fineally found a change machine inside the building but lost another 10 minutes of valuable early ski time. Somebody else commented on the steep surcharge to park in the closest parking lot. Since this was one of my own ideas for easy profits I cannot compllain . However it would be nice to mark where the walkways are to the lower lots. I had to go back and forth between rows of cars before I found the path and then had to count the number of cars before I could get at the ramp. I like Camelback but since it is close to New York metro overcrowding and early ski off are a fact of life. Would happily pay a $10 premium over all day ticket price to get in the door at 7:30 to be able to get in an hour skiing before the mobs hit. I thought about a seasons pass but couldn't bear the thought of skiing in these crowded conditions every trip. .