There are better mountains...

by: sumome - Nov 19, 2008

Pros: professional looking resort. good terrain features

Cons: crowded, narrow trails, long lines, nazi ski patrollers

Recommended For: Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2008

OK, don't get me wrong, Camelback is a decent mountain. I've had a season pass there and go there a lot, and will go there a bunch more in the future.

However, I feel like that any other mountains in the Poconos or Catskills are comparable and you will have less hassles there. Camelback is too crowded. The terrain gets really nasty by midday, the lines are like waiting at Disney World, and there is hardly anywhere to sit in the cafeteria. I would STRONGLY advise against going on Fri, ESPECIALLY Saturday, and Sunday. I love, Love Camelback in the middle of the week, it is an entirely different experience.

The trails are too narrow as well. When it gets crowded it actually feels like a traffic jam. Also, there are too many flat areas, and when it's crowded it's impossible to speed through, and you probably have to unstrap. The whole day feels like waiting on a line!

Another thing is that the black diamond runs are short, and usually icy unless it just snowed. To make things worse, they usually empty out into a green beginner trail, and if you keep going on the green at the same speed you did the black, the ski patrol will pull you over and tell you that you need to slow down, as it is a beginner trail. They do so to me often and have threatened to take away my pass.

Overall, it's a good beginner mountain. You are very, very limited if you are an intermediate to advanced rider, unless you feel at home in the terrain park and spend 90-100% of your time there. Do not go here on a fri, sat, or sunday. Go to the less known mountains and you will have a great time. Come to Camelback in the middle of the week and you will probably see me there - and you will be pleased.

Oh yeah one more thing - make sure to lock up your boards at Camelback. I've had two incidents where my friends got their boards stolen. Fortunately one was recovered, but the other was long gone. Neither were offered much assistance or a discounted rental for the remainder of the day or anything of that sort.