Camelback Mountain Resort Review

by: michaelper22 - Dec 30, 2007

Date Visited: Dec 30, 2007

Full disclosure: I have not skied at any mountain other than Camelback.

I have gone to CamelBack (herein referred to as "CB") with my school a grand total of three times over the last two winters (twice in winter 2005-2006, once in 2006-2007), and feel that the ski area has its pros and cons.

The check-in process is pretty good. Picking up rentals from the shop on a midweek day is relatively fast. The first year I went to CB, there were locking ski racks conveniently near the enterance to the main lodge, but those racks have since been moved to the area near the gear store.

I'm a beginner skier, so I can't vouch much for the snow. However, on the trips I went on, most of the trails were open, and the ones that I went on (nothing higher than double-green) were resonably well groomed.

CB is not very big on convenience. As I mentioned above, the ski racks are quite far from the main lodge, which is where my group usually meets throughout the day. Also, having the two high-speed quad lifts (which lead to most of the godd beginner runs) on opposite sides of the base area is not too good on the beginners. Call me lazy, but I'd bet most people don't wan't to shlep from side to side of the muntain all day.

I can't rate the dining because I brought food from home on all of the trips. However, soda is outrageously expensive, at $4.00 a bottle. (Even Six Flags charges less, at 2.75 a bottle last time I was there).

The beginner instruction at CB, IMHO, is pretty good. After the group lesson I took part in ended, another instructor stayed behind and helped out myself and several of my friends who were having trouble catching the gist of skiing. I plan on seeing how good their second-level beginner instruction this February.

Overall, I feel that Camelback is a great ski area for midweek skiing trips. There is certainly enough terrain for each skill level, and beginners should come out being able to make it down The Meadows (a steep and straight trail rated single-green-circle) without killing themselves.