Fair and Balanced

by: SnowSage - Jan 31, 2012

Pros: Variety of Terrain, Good snow making, fast lifts

Cons: Crowded parking lot, tickets are a little spendy

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2012

I noticed that many of the negative reviews about Camelback are from several years back so I thought I would give some honest insight based upon current conditions and experience.

Foreword: I have skied Camelback about 10 times in the last 2 seasons. 2010-11 was a banner year for snow and I skied almost every week from December into March. The lack of snow and warm weather has really hurt most mountains in the East but even so I have been to Camelback 3x in January all on Sundays.

Conditions: I don't know what kind of snow wizard they have working at Camelback this year but they have done a pretty outstanding job making snow. I was there Sunday 1/29 and 30 out of 32 trails were open. Ice was no worse than normal on the east coast and conditions were generally excellent. I've been so impressed with their snow making that I haven't risked going to another mountain for fear of getting crappy conditions.

Lift Lines: I've skied Camelback on Sundays this year including the holiday weekend. If you were to judge the lines by the amount of cars in the parking lots you would think that you would be waiting around for ever. The two high-speed quads are great and the staff is really efficient and courteous. They keep the line moving quickly and barring someone taking a header getting off and stopping the lift, the lines were minimal compared to say Hunter or Windham. I easily have gotten in 20+ runs each day.

Price: At $59/ticket adult and $49/ticket Junior on the weekend Camelback is a bit spendy. You can save $5 by buying online from the mountain and more if you use Liftopia.com The best deal from Camelback is the Camel Card which will pay for itself in 4 uses or the Triple Ticket pass for $99. There are also some discount codes you can use online that will knock a few bucks off the price.

Parking: Very difficult on the weekend. Either pay $20 for premium parking, hike up the hill with your gear or wait for a shuttle bus. But as bad as the parking situation can be the lift lines and snow are making up for it this season.

Overall: 4 stars. They are doing a great job with the snow fighting very difficult weather conditions and their staff does a great job keeping you on the mountain and off the lift lines.