by: Erin Kilkenny - 20th January 2011

Vertical, fun trails, good conditions, fire pits, good vibezzz
MLK weekend crowds, disorganized, expensive food, rental equipment

Two friends and I drove to Blue Mountain from NYC on Sunday - we wanted to do a day trip to someplace close since 2/3 of us had work the next day. All and all it was a great day despite the crowds. None of us had ever been here before - but we've all skied a couple small PA/NJ/NY mountains, so we knew not to expect Vermont. I was skiing and my friends were snowboarding. We range from advanced beginner to intermediate. Bad stuff: It was crowded, and even though we got there at 1:00, we had only done two runs by 4:00. We had a few time-sucking problems with our rental equipment. The lift line system (they separate people into 2s, 3s, 4s, and singles) was confusing / unclear because it was impossible to see the tiny signs in the insane MLK crowds. We should have just gotten night (4pm-closing) tickets and hung out by the fire until then. Good stuff: Half the crowd left after 4, and suddenly we noticed that this is actually a pretty fun little mountain! The far left / Valley Lodge side was great for us - Paradise is a long and surprisingly satisfying green cruiser, and was wide enough to accommodate lots of people. It was also really nice to be able to branch off of that onto the blue Dreamweaver and meet back up with my friends easily, since I didn't want to totally go off by myself all day. For such a busy weekend, conditions stayed decent until around 9:15pm, at which point the bottom of Dreamweaver turned into a hockey rink. I saw a few people bite it pretty hard on that giant ice patch. It's also worth mentioning that the teenagers here seemed way less psycho than at Mountain Creek and Camelback - in fact, most of the people seemed pretty chill/nice. The mountain is split in two sides, and it's kind of hard to switch between them. The Summit Lodge side is worth checking out for Lazy Mile & Switchback or any of the blacks - but on a crowded day, the relatively narrow green Burma Road is about the worst trail ever - every curve had about 30 sitting noobie snowboarders, making it impossible to get through. My green snowboarder buddies were super frustrated after one run and headed right back to Paradise. Anyway, we'd probably come back for a day trip in a year or so. We all loved having a beer and sitting at the fire pits, and the blacks looked like they'd be fun when we get better.