Best PA mountain I've skied

by: ocskier - Mar 7, 2010

Pros: fast lifts, long runs, great french fries

Cons: Presidents day weekend, no lodging on mountain, out of control snow boarders

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2010

My family and friends make 2 or 3 trips to Blue every year. I will admit that I have only skied a couple of other PA places (Shawnee and Jack Frost) but Blue outranks them by far! I'm not sure what some other reviewers were talking about with long waits in lift lines. The only time I have ever had to wait any real length of time was the first year we went, which was on Pres Day weekend. I can honestly say we will NEVER go there again on that weekend. Blue has a great school hill at the top lodge for beginners as well as a school hill at the lower lodge. We typically go to the top lodge as it is quite a bit nicer in comparison to the bottom lodge. I think that some of the intermediatte slopes are easier than the "easy" Burma road. Burma is the natural slope beginners gravitate to because it is right off of the main school hill. It isnt as wide as the easy "Paradise" slope and is usually more crowded. Unlike other reviewers I have seen ski patrol ticket and pull skiers and snowboarders who were going too fast and reckless on the beginner slopes. Unlike Jack Frost, the runs are long enough that you dont feel you stand in lift lines more than you are actually skiing. They have always been very accomodating to our group. They allow us to keep our rentals for 2 days so that on our second day of skiing we dont have to go to the rental process again. I do think out of control snowboarders are an issue. When the beginners in our group were learning to ski, they were very wary of the snowboarders. The first year we were there I think there was a real problem with groups of snowboarders just sitting in the middle of some of the runs. In the 3 years since, I havent seen too much of it. To combat the high food prices, we always take sandwiches and drinks with us, though they are cracking down on large coolers this year. We just take smaller coolers now. My kids do have to get at least one order of french fries though because they are the best! We love this place and will continue to visit it every year.