by: tcwaggoner - 9th January 2008

Last week they were under-reporting the snow levels, so it may all average out over a season. I started boarding about 18 months ago and only do blue runs. That is until last week. The powder was so deep and fine that I was not able to make it through to Boundary Pass and had to finish up by coming down Destiny through waist deep snow. No one else had run it in several days, so I had to guess how to make it. After I made it through one of the two track openings through the tops of all the small Doug Firs at the bottom, I decided that must be what all the excitement is about. Being very close to Social Security eligibility and over weight, I find that the ski patrollers are quick to check me out if I stop in any one place too long to catch my breath. All the lift operators and other staff seem very friendly and helpful to me, but maybe that is because I am smiling a lot while I am there. The food is good enough that my teen-age son and his friends are always eating it, and it is inexpensive enough so that I can afford to purchase enough to keep a small army on the move. The kid who hit the roots of the downed tree last spring was right behind me. I slipped on the same ice patch, but it was not due to any grooming defects. If he had not hit the root ball, he would have hit the standing trees on either side of it. It was just one of those freak accidents that happen, and not anyone's fault. If you need a terrain park and do not go in for natural features, this may not be the best place to go, but then most of the best parks are in places with crummy snow and are made up to compensate. Apres-Ski is rated low on my list, as I seem to always get stuck behind some 80-year-old in a Geo-Metro without snow tires on the way home. If Apres-Ski to you is getting hammered and finding some companionship, you would be better off in San Francisco or Seattle. A few rounds in any good bar there will end up costing more than a Willamette Pass lift ticket.