by: mtjana - 11th November 2009

Close to Portland
Crowded lines, short and very crowded runs, poor facilities, DANGEROUS

I see Meadows as a missed opportunity: What it could be is a good hill. However, the mountain is so full of problems that the result is less than average. It's layed out poorly so that the people (and there are too many at any time) are all funneled in to too few runs. Partially a result of the high speed quads creating incredible congestion on the too few open runs on any given day. I could deal with the long lines (and yes, they are long) if I could have a run down without having to navigate wayy too many people on the runs to be safe. It makes for a dangerous situation - one in which I have been caught in first hand with the boarder being hauled off the mountain and not allowed to return. Scary situation for me - and from what I hear not an infrequent one. What could Meadows be? If the terrain that it already has was opened up like all of the other mountains do, it could be a good hill. Add in some good facilities, decent food, and much more customer focused staff and that would be a good start. I've skiied around a lot - growing up skiing in Montana and most recently Val D'Isere and Chamoix. Can you believe that the cost of a ski ticket for Meadows with a miniscule amount and much lease quality terrain was actually more expensive that Val D'Isere? Go figure. Meadows: you can do it - make the changes you need to get your act together. I think the time is coming that people have had it - I am surprised at how many people are opting out of dealinig with you this year and going for the Fusion Pass for TLIne and Ski Bowl. Maybe a hit to the revenue stream will at least get someone's attention up there.