Mt. Hood Meadows Review

by: dualsporter - Feb 4, 2008

Date Visited: Feb 4, 2008

This is the first time I have purchased a season's pass for my family. I love the hill for its short lift lines and friendly service from the staff. Standing in the cold can't be fun, but the lift operators are always great. My one beef, though, is a pretty serious one, and addressed by other reviewers. There is very little ski patrol presence on this hill. I've boarded and skied in a few places, and Meadows has the least safety I've ever seen. Lots of out-of-control riders (the majority?!) and nothing being done about it. I've been going up this year for a couple of months, and for the last month I haven't seen even one patroller. It seemed as if the riders were actually aiming for my little kids, especially when they fell. I think the problem is these riders (a lot of them!) are actually way beyond their skill level with no finesse. What happens here is that they are looking at you thinking they want to avoid you, but when you're out of control you tend to go where you're looking, so you end up aiming for what you intend to avoid.
Safety on the slopes at this hill is preached (lots of signs) but pretty much non-existent. Sadly, I think a death (or several) will be necessary before anything is done, and a problem easily fixed (volunteer ski patrol, anyone? Just give out a free season's pass to qualified individuals and have the instructors keep a heads up.) Other than that, I love my hill, and so does my family.