by: drdevon - 4th February 2010

Close to PDX, very good terrain, lots of lifts
Lift line staff a little slow, scanners mediocre

I moved to Portland recently and can't believe how lucky I am that such a nice ski area is so cose to town. I'm sorry, but the other two nearby areas really aren't close to Meadows in terms of the terrain available and the number of places to go....I think people who have one bad experience get angry, post a review here, and swear they will never return. Sure, the kids in the lift line could be a little snappier, and I *DO* wish they would figure out how to make their lift scanners work if I put my ski pass in the plastic sleeve of my ski jacket (A-Basin, Taos, Sun Valley, Breck, and others seem to be able to do this with their scanners) ... but it's a great ski hill, and it's close to town! As for the other service factors, I have had mostly very good experiences with the staff - welcoming and they do what they can. The instructors are generally nice, and while I wish they had a bit more graduated approach to their ski school (maybe more categories in the group lessons), the instruction has been good for me. The blue and black runs off the Cascade, Shooting Star, and Hood River lifts generally have the better snow and less traffic. Again, I just don't see too much to complain about, and I think the $430 I paid for a season pass plus ski check is a heck of a lot cheaper than the big resorts in the Rockies. Great deal!