by: Derek - 17th March 2014

Number of runs
too many people, dangerous skiers/boarders

Growing up in Toronto, Blue is the closest thing to a "mountain" that we have around here and therefore it seems to be the place to go. It has always been over crowded. To give credit to Blue, opening up the "orchard" area has seemed to disperse the crowds a bit, but 15 minute waits for lifts are still very common. I won't comment on the amount of snow because ultimately Mother Nature has final say on that front, but what I will say is that due to the sheer volume of people on the hill whatever snow there is gets quickly eroded away by around 11:00 a.m. After that the snow is slushy or very icy (depending on the temperature). The things that seem to be out of Blue's control however is the clientele. Blue gets an inordinate amount of idiots on their hills. I'm not talking about beginners or simply young rowdy kids here, I'm talking about semi-experienced skiers/boarders that think they are on some sort of World Cup circuit and have no regard for anyone else on the hill. I've been to Blue many times over the last 30 years and just about every time I witness many near misses. It really is quite dangerous. Blue seems to have no patrols on the hill (other than the first aid patrol). It seems that these same people feel it's okay to throw cans and litter off of the chair lift. Never have I seen so much garbage under the lift anywhere! Just an FYI....if you are wanting to go to the terrain park, Blue charges EXTRA for that! I've never been ANYWHERE that charges extra for runs that you've already paid for!! My recommendation (even if it means you find this little gem) is that if you live in the Toronto area and want a weekend or a couple of days skiing/boarding...turn your car south and go across the border to Holiday Valley just south of Buffalo. Yes it's a longer drive, but they have more vertical there and the time will be made up by not waiting in line at the lifts.